Monday, March 8, 2010

Inverview with Miriam Sassy of Project Hope

Miriam is a young lady originally from Liberia enrolled in project hope. Throughout her interview Miriam had to be reminder that she could talk freely and be herslef.

What inspired you to join Project Hope:
I had a six year old daughter and I wanted her to have a better life than I ever had. Also I wanted to got to school to be a positive role model on her.

What do you want to get out of the program that you are enrolled in:
Well, firstly I want to get my GED, once I do that I can go to college and fulfil my dream of becoming a medical assistant.

Once you finish with the program do you see yourself helping others get to the point where you did:
I would admit I am a very shy person, before I started Project Hope I was afraid to even open my mouth. I was scared people would laugh at everything I had to say. Since I started project hope I have learnt to talk and relate to others. Therefore I think once I build my courage I would be able to relate to others.

How do people in the program motivate you:
When I started project hope I thought I was the only one who had problems, once I got there I realised that everyone had a story similar to mine. Now I believe I am not on my own but there are people who understand what I am going through.

What is the most beneficial thing you have learnt from Project Hope:

The program mostly taught me to read and write but the one thing I cherish that I have learnt from the program is the development of ideas. I can now think about things on my own, than relying on what others have to say. I feel liberated.

Thank you project hope for the difference you are making in my life and that of my daughter.

No comments: