Monday, March 8, 2010

Interview with Cherly Mc Falden

"We empower ourselves by reading more"
"Education is the passport for the future"

What inspired you to get into adult literacy:
I was a tutor in Philadelphia and there was a high level of illiteracy especially among the black within the community. There was also a lack of volunteers to help others.

What literacy mean to you:
I feel I am doing what God has put me on the earth to do, I feel obligated.

What changes do you want to see in terms of literacy:
I want literacy become more flexible and accessible to adults. Sometimes literacy schedule coincide with their job schedules or house chores. They sometimes have no one to look after their children.

What do you believe reading can do for others:
Reading is power, it helps you find yourself and gives you a voice

No comments: